I am always on the search for a new snack food that’s both healthy and budget friendly.
It’s easy for me to have the usual combos of apple and peanut butter, or almonds and craisins; but it’s nice to switch things up every now and then 🙂
I have actually never tried a Larabar, and my reason for that is due to how pricey just ONE bar is! It’s great that they focus on natural and simple ingredients, but I can’t fathom paying almost $2.00 for one single bar, when I can make 6x for just a little bit more.
This recipe for homemade Larabars is so versatile – so feel free to add any kind of nut you like! You can add cocoa, coconut, different extracts, and dried fruits to these babies. Switch it up and have fun 🙂
Homemade Pecan Pie Larabars
Serving size: 6 bars
– 1 cup raw almonds
– 1 1/2 cups raw pecans
– Pinch coarse kosher salt
– 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 8 oz pitted dates
1. Add the almonds and pecans into a food processor and pulse until they turn into very small bits.
2. Add vanilla extract and a pinch of coarse kosher salt and pulse a few more times.
3. Add the dates and process until a thick dough forms (the mixture should stick together when pinched between your thumb and forefinger. If the dough seems too dry add water, a few drops at a time, and process until desired consistency is reached).
4. Dump the dough out onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper. Use the paper to form the dough into a uniformly flat square about 1 inch thick. Wrap the dough well in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator or the freezer for about 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
5. Wrap well in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container for up to a week.
If you’ve tried Larabars, what’s your favorite flavor?