Lately, I’ve been on a BIG fruit kick. Specifically: strawberries.
I can always go for a good bowl of fruit anytime of the year, but summer time just screams for fresh fruit to me. So when it screams, I must answer.
With it being Memorial Day weekend, what better way to celebrate than with eating strawberries!? Festive, right? 😉 This morning, I made my family a big dish of baked oatmeal with all the fixings – the perfect breakfast in my opinion.
While I was at Costco the other day, the strawberries were too beautiful to pass up. With having 4 pounds to work with, I figured oatmeal would be a great way to make the first dent in them;)
Strawberry Baked Oatmeal
Recipe adapted from The Dutch Bakers Daughter
– 2 cups rolled oats
– 1/2 cup crunchy granola
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– a pinch of salt
– 2 cups skim milk
– 1 large egg, slightly beaten
– 1 tablespoon coconut oil
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 2 ripe bananas, sliced
– 1 1/2 cups strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.; spray a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, 1/4 cup of the granola, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In another bowl, or in a large measuring cup, mix together the milk, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla.
3. Distribute the sliced bananas evenly on the bottom of the casserole dish.
4. Sprinkle two-thirds of the strawberries over the top of the bananas. Cover the fruit with the oatmeal mixture. Evenly pour the milk mixture over the oats, then tap the dish gently on the counter to distribute the liquid.
5. Sprinkle the remaining granola and berries over the top of the oatmeal. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden and the mixture is set. Serve warm with a splash of milk, if desired.
After breakfast, we had plans of going out to Burlington and doing some shopping. So with an afternoons worth of walking and being out in the sun, this baked oatmeal definitely kept us full and energized.