I always love the idea of French Toast for breakfast, but immediately turn it down with the thought of having all of that bread just in one sitting. It sounds a little contradictory – I know. I’m just not a huge fan of putting my body through such a carb overload. To clarify, I like my bread in moderation 🙂
This morning for my oats, I was craving that French Toast flavor. And then I got to thinking, adding bananas foster to the mix would totally send me to oatmeal heaven. And who wouldn’t want to go to oatmeal heaven, right? Right, exactly what I thought.
Bananas Foster French Toast Oatmeal
– 1 cup milk of choice or water
– 1/2 cup rolled oats
– 1/2 mashed banana
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– pinch of salt
– maple syrup
– 1/2 sliced banana
– dash of stevia
1. Bring milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
2. Microwave the mashed banana for 30 seconds to bring out the natural sugars.
3. Add banana to the oats and mix. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon. Stir. Add a little maple syrup and stir.
4. Once the oatmeal has reached the consistency you prefer, transfer to a bowl. Add banana slices and a sprinkle of stevia on top. Place under the broiler until bananas start to caramelize.
5. Serve any way you’d like to: with another splash of your milk of choice, a dusting of cinnamon, a drizzle of maple syrup, or toasted nuts!
- The preparation for the bananas is of course not a true bananas foster; this version is healthier because I omitted all of the butter and sugars used to make it. I found the flavors to still be on point though with the way I made this version.