This morning for my daily serving of oats, I was really craving that fresh baked banana bread aroma and flavor, packed into one little bowl.
In my world, you can never go wrong with bananas. Much of the oatmeal I make incorporates the tasty fruit in at least one way or another. This time, I made the bananas the main honcho with a little added side kick, the date.
These two ingredients are so simple but so amazing, especially when brought together. Each bite of the oatmeal was full of their delicious, naturally sweet flavor.
Crunchy Banana-Date Oatmeal
– 1 cup milk of choice or water
– 1/2 cup rolled oats
– 1 mashed banana
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– pinch of salt
– 2 large, pitted and chopped dates
– toasted pecans and almonds (optional)
– sliced banana
1. Bring milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
2. Microwave the mashed banana for 30 seconds to bring out the natural sugars.
3. Add banana to the oats and mix. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon. Stir. Add chopped dates, stir.
4. Once the oatmeal has reached the consistency you prefer, transfer to a bowl.
5. Top with slices of banana, nuts if using, and honey.
But most importantly, be sure to enjoy!!