When it comes to party food, you can only rely on chips and dip for so long. It’s nice to switch up the finger food every once in awhile, and I think I found just the right recipe to do so.
This popcorn is far from being your usual ‘microwave popcorn’. It’s such an easy recipe to whip together for those family/friend get-togethers – or maybe just a snack to treat yourself to at the end of the day 🙂
With the sweet and salty combination of the almonds, craisins, orange juice, and brown sugar: you’ll find it hard to limit yourself to just one serving.
Cranberry-Orange Caramel Corn
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
Serves 20 (1/2 cup servings)
– 12 cups popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup kernels)
– 1 cup dried cranberries
– 1/2 cup whole almonds
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
– 1/4 cup light-color corn syrup
– 2 tbsp orange juice
– 2 tsp vanilla
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 275F. In a very large bowl, combine the popped popcorn (I air popped mine), cranberries, and almonds; set aside.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan, cook and stir the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat until the butter is melted. Stir in orange juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in vanilla and baking soda (mixture will foam up).
3. Pour the syrup mixture over the popcorn mixture in bowl and stir to coat well. Transfer to a 15x10x1 inch baking pan or a shallow roasting pan. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring twice.
4. Transfer caramel con to a large sheet of greased heavy foil and cool.