It’s the best and only compromise I’ve found and it’s TOTALLY worth it :)I eat healthy and love doing so – but we all need to treat ourselves sometimes, and a grilled cheese loaded with ooey gooey melty cheese is the perfect choice for those certain ‘cheat day’.
Now, most people just grab their bread, slab some butter on the outsides, throw that orange square cheese in between, toast her up, and have at it.
Me and my grilled cheeses have a different relationship – we’re a little more, sophisticated, you could say. I don’t just leave it at the cheese, I like to get a little more creative. And with being a cheese fanatic, I love using different cheeses that provide awesome, robust flavor.
Spiced Avocado Grilled Cheese
– 2 slices bread of choice
– 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
– 2 tbsp. roasted red pepper hummus
– cheese of choice (I used hickory smoked cheddar and swiss)
– 1/4 avocado, sliced
– black forest ham, optional
– dusting of Emeril’s Essence Seasoning
– sriracha, optional
1. Drizzle olive oil onto one side of both slices of bread. Spread the hummus onto inside part of bread, following with cheese, avocado, ham if using, a sprinkle of seasoning, sriracha if using, and more cheese.
2. Grill sandwich on pan with medium heat until golden brown on both sides and cheese is completely melted.
My favorite thing about this grilled cheese is the avocado; using simple ingredients really make all the flavors stand out. Also, the additional ingredients I used gives this ‘comfort food’ a healthified makeover.
Enjoy that awesome crunch of the bread and the beautifully melted ensemble that’s nestled between.
And maybe help yourself to another one 😉