Happy Independence Day my dear Americans!
When it comes to traditional recipes/dishes that are popular for this day of celebration, the list goes on and on and we’re left with too many helpings of blueberries and strawberries in too small of a time frame. (Of course I love fruit, but I also like variety)
To me, nothing screams AMERICA more than s’mores.
Summertime + S’mores + good company = American Livin’ at its finest
– 1 cup milk of choice or water
– 1/2 cup rolled oats
– 1/2 banana
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– pinch of salt
– 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
– graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate syrup for topping
1. Mix first two ingredients in a saucepan and let set for 10 minutes. Once the oats have absorbed some of the liquid, bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low.
2. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add mashed banana and mix.
3. Add cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Mix well.
4. Once the consistency is the way you like, transfer half of mixture to a bowl. Add cocoa powder to remaining oats in the saucepan and mix until incorporated.
5. Transfer the cocoa oats to your serving bowl along with the ‘regular’ oats. Pile marshmallows ontop and place under the broiler until they start to get golden brown. This only maybe takes 30 seconds, give or take, so keep a close eye on it!
6. Drizzle chocolate syrup over toasted marshmallows and sprinkle on the crushed up graham crackers.
Make this for you and a special someone and thank God for your freedom and all that He has provided you.
Enjoy and Happy 4th of July!!