It was time for me to once again make my usual farmers market trip! In my opinion, it is an awesome place to be, especially in the summer when everything is fresh and in season.
We had family coming over for dinner, and with the sun hot and a number of hungry stomachs, zucchini boats were on the menu to make everything better.
I love supporting local business’s and farms around my area, so when the opportunity arises, I always go to the produce stands along side the roads to get my fruits/vegetables.
These zucchini boats are packed with veggies, spice, and all things wonderful. They’re very healthy and yet so filling, I don’t know how one could go wrong with making this dish.
Garden Vegetable and Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
– 3 medium-large zucchini
– 4 hot sausage links (hoagie sized links)
– 1 tbsp. olive oil
– 1/2 chopped onion
– 1 cup cherry tomatoes
– 1 cup sliced mushrooms
– 1 tbsp. minced garlic
– 2 cup spinach
– salt & pepper to taste
– seasoning of choice
– 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Wash and cut each zucchini in half horizontally, then carefully scoop out the center of the zucchini, reserving for the stuffing mixture.
3. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper over zucchini and flash on the grill over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Do not cook until completely tender, it will finish cooking in the oven.
4. Peel away the casing to the sausage and discard.
5. In a saucepan over medium high heat, add the sausage and cook all the way through. Drain any excess grease, place sausage in a bowl and set aside.
6. In the same saucepan, heat olive oil and add onion, cherry tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, reserved zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper and any additional seasoning, to taste. Cook until tender, and then add spinach until it has wilted.
7. In a 9×13 sprayed baking dish, line zucchini halves side by side. Combine sausage and vegetables together and evenly distribute into each zucchini boat, sprinkled with cheese on top.
8. Bake about 10-12 minutes, until hot and cheese is bubbly and melted.