Remember that old school, classic appetizer choice that so many would opt for: fried zucchini planks with the side of marinara sauce.
It’s surely an oldie but a goodie – they’re like fries or chips to me. I’ve never had enough will power to ever just stop at one, and in no time I realize I’m left with an empty serving dish with reminiscing crumbs. And grease (meh). But oh so good 🙂
So think of those fried, crunchy, amazingly tasty zucchini planks but actually baked in the oven to get that fried effect, and placed in a grilled cheese. We gotta be on the same page now, this sandwich is too wicked good to pass up.
‘Fried’ Zucchini Grilled Cheese
– 2 slices bread of choice
– 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
– cheese of choice (I used swiss and mozzarella)
– 2-4 baked zucchini planks, depending what fits with your bread
– spoonful of marinara sauce and extra for dipping
1. Follow this simple recipe for some great baked fried zucchini
2. Drizzle olive oil onto one side of both slices of bread. Place swiss cheese on the inside slice of bread, followed by the zucchini planks.
3. Layer a small amount of marinara sauce ontop of zucchini (I added some Franks Red Hot here 🙂 ) then top with mozzarella cheese and place other slice of bread ontop with the olive oil facing outward.
4. Grill sandwich on pan with medium heat until golden brown on both sides and cheese is completely melted.
5. Serve sandwich with a side of marinara sauce for dipping!